Melzetta Williams : A Teacher's Recollections
Caption:
Leonard Street School opened in October 1921. Located on the corner of Leonard and Price, it served as a public graded school for African American students. The one story school had 12 classrooms, four vocational classrooms, steam heat and a 700 seat auditorium. This photograph is undated, but likely taken shortly after the school opened.

Shown in the background is St. Stephen's Metropolitan AME Zion Church, located where East Kivett Drive is now.

Leonard Street School closed in 1982, and a newer addition now serves as the City of High Point Police Department headquarters.

Source of photograph unknown.
Object ID:
P0063
Click to Enlarge
PhotoPhoto