High Point Furniture Market : "The World's Furniture Mart"
Caption:
Before a true exposition was organized, each furniture factory maintained separate showrooms. The first cooperative showroom, of only 2,000 square feet, was established in 1905 by the High Point Furniture Exposition Company, on the second floor of the Maddox Building at the corner of Broad and Elm Streets. A rival group, the Furniture Manufacturers' Exposition Company, adapted 10,000 square feet on the third floor of the Ragan and Mills building on South Main Street for the same purpose in 1906. In March 1909, the companies jointly staged High Point's first scheduled furniture exposition, the forerunner of today's Furniture Market.
Object ID:
1983.003.003
Click to Enlarge
FIC.2007.4018FIC.2007.4018